March 20, 2017
One of our class projects in Food Styling was to make a Homecoming display for on event going on Friday night. Allie and I reused our cupcakes we made in Advanced Baking II for our display. (Per Chef Mary Helen’s permission) We just added to them. I decided to make a Tiffany box to go along with my cupcakes. So here is how it all went down.
First I made a simple yellow cake and baked it in a square six inch cake pan. Here is the recipe I used.
Simple Yellow Cake
- 2 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups Sugar
- 3/4 cup Butter, softened
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 3 Eggs
- 1 1/4 cups Milk
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and lightly flour 13×9-inch pan, or in my case a six inch square cake pan. In a medium bowl, stir flour, baking powder and salt until well blended.
- In large bowl, beat granulated sugar and 3/4 cup softened butter with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla and eggs until well blended. Alternately add flour mixture and 1 1/4 cups milk, beating well and scraping bowl after each addition. Pour batter evenly into pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
While the cake was baking I made up a batch of buttercream for Allie and I to use.
I also made some fondant decorations and dyed some fondant Tiffany blue.
I then rolled out the blue fondant big enough to cover the square cake.
Once the cake was cooled I trimmed it up, and frosted it. Trying to have clean edges so that I could have a nice sharp edge.
I also rolled out some white fondant and created a bow and some stripes. Here is how it turned out.
Right before the event happend I took out the plastic wrap. Here is my whole display!
I took out the plastic wrap on Friday, but on the next Monday the bow had “deflated”. But it still looked cute.
Here’s Allie’s display!
Until next time.
~ Holly O