March 3, 2017
Today in Advanced Baking we tested recipes for homecoming, which is March 23-26, with the event we are testing recipes for on March 24! I got there early and Chef Mary Helen let me choose which recipe I wanted to test!! I choose to test the tiramisu mousse! I love tiramisu and mousse; so, why not combine them? I gathered all my ingredients and got started. Here the recipe:
- 1 1/2 tsp Instant coffee granules
- 1/4 cup Hot water
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups Powder sugar
- 8 oz. Marscarpone cheese or cream cheese
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Chocolate bar, garnish
- Place the instant coffee in the hot water and stir. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Beat heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Chill until ready to use.
- Mix powdered sugar and marscarpone cheese with a mixer until smooth.
- Mix in vanilla extract and cooled coffee.
- Fold whipped cream into coffee, cheese mixture gently. Place the tiramisu in a piping bag.
- Pip in the mousse into shot glasses (or your container of choose) half way then sprinkle in cocoa powder, more mousse, more cocoa powder, more mousse, and then top with shaved chocolate. (I used a Y peeler)
After I finished the mousse, which was DELICIOUS by the way, I started on some Aqua fresco for Chef Mary Helen’s tamale adult cooking class on Saturday. I started by washing some blueberries, limes, lemons, and oranges.
I started to slice the citrus fruits into rounds, but got pulled to make a butter cake. So, Gentry sliced them up and add them to a pretty drink dispenser Chef had.
I mixed up the butter cake mix and added some vanilla bean paste to jazz it up a bit! I poured it into two 8 inch round cake pans and bake it.
While I was putting it in the oven, my fellow Baking Babe, Allie was taking pictures of her products, but needed a little help in the height department!
Allie was working on red velvet mini cakes that we are doing for an event on Tuesday! Here’s what they looked like!
Here are all the desserts we tested for homecoming.
Tk and Bri made the creme brulee, we are thinking about doing a creme brulee bar. Tk also make the chocolate dipped strawberries. Brooke made the white chocolate chip scones with a lemon glaze, yum! Also, its her personal recipe. Besty made the strawberry “rose” tart. The “coffee cup” is a stand in for pot de creme, I made this recipe earlier (recipe in Valentines Gala blog) which is awesome, so no need to retest. I made the mousse, and we decided at last minute to do a mini cake with the red velvet cake that Allie made. I suggested maybe for homecoming we do a blue velvet considering The W is The Long Blue Line!
This week I ate WAY too much mousse and too many sweets! Next week we have a guest chef, Jared Danks, coming to show us sugar art! I can’t wait!