February 10, 2017
Today in Advanced Baking II we helped Chef Mary Helen set up and prepare for a Valentine’s cooking class that she is hosting tonight. She had 8 couples coming to this cooking class to watch her demo the recipes, cook them themselves, and enjoy some of the foods we helped prepare.
I helped make part of the dessert trio! For dessert was a chocolate trio- a chocolate truffle, pot de creme, and a chocolate caramel mousse. Allie made the mousse and I made the pot de creme, it was super smooth, creamy, and AMAZING!
Pot De Creme:
- 3/4 cup Heavy cream
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 6 Egg yolks
- 2 cups Semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 2 tbsp Kahlua
- Heat heavy cream and milk in a medium sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Combine egg yolks and chocolate in a blender.
- Slowly pour in the scalded milk mixture, while the blender is going on low.
- Blend until mixture is completely smooth.
- Pour into ramekins and chill for at least two hours before serving.
The pot de creme was my favorite part of the chocolate trio! (not just because I made it either. Ha) There was some extra pot de creme left over after filling up all the ramekins needed for the dinner, I took it back to my dorm and savored it!
After that we helped set up each station with the appropriate equipment. I also helped set up Chef Mary Helen’s station for the demos.
Before the end of class we turned in our sketch for our themed cupcakes. I decided to do a Breakfast at Tiffany’s theme for my cupcakes and wedding cake! I can’t wait to make them in the weeks to come!
Next week is King Cakes and recipe testing for our cupcakes!